Elastic Beanstalk Migration Assistant Script1 min read
On Dec 19th 2020 AWS announced a new script you can clone from github that lets you migrate your IIS applications into elastic beanstalk with ease.
The annoucement is here: https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2019/12/aws-elastic-beanstalk-launches-windows-web-application-migration-assistant/
Key take aways are:
- It’s open source licensed under Apache 2
- It has been released under awslabs
- It can migrate an entire website and its config subject to the below dependencies
The scripts main dependencies are listed as:
- Internet Information Services (IIS) version 8.0 or above running on Windows Server 2012 or above
- MS PowerShell version 3.0 or above
- Microsoft Web Deploy version 3.6 or above
- AWSPowerShell module for MS PowerShell
- .NET Framework 4.x, 2.0, 1.x or .NET Core 3.0.0, 2.2.8, 2.1.14
- WebAdministration module for MS PowerShell. You can check for this dependency by invoking PowerShell command “Import-Module WebAdministration”
- The server needs full internet access to AWS.
With the main workflow as:
Here’s an overview of the migration assistant’s workflow:
- Discover local websites.
- Select site to migrate.
- Discover database connection strings.
- Update database connection strings.
- Generate Elastic Beanstalk deployment bundle.
- Deploy application to Elastic Beanstalk.
I have yet to test this script myself so cannot comment on its ease of use. Would be keen to hear any feedback from your experiences if you use it.